Guitar Injury

Guitar Injury
Suffering for my art

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Press Kit-ty


If you want to play professionally, or to look at pictures of yourself because, like most musicians, you have an ego so enormous that it eclipses the sun...then you will want to assemble a press kit.

I wanted both of these things, so over the years I have assembled a ridiculous number of photographs. Some of them are actually photographs of me. The photograph above was one that a friend took for the specific purpose of self-promotion. I have received a lot of attention for this picture, mostly because people really like the bed that looks like it was chewed by beavers.

Anyway, you should also include a basic biography that makes you sound really cool. You know, stuff that sounds really adventurous and dramatic. "Born above the Arctic Circle to a poor sharecropper family, Dawn took her very name from the midnight sun..." Yada, yada, yada.

Then, you will also want to include a basic synopsis of your musical experiences. You don't have to list EVERY gig you've ever played, (unless you have only played one). For instance, I no longer find it necessary to include the "Payday Advance Loans and Billiards Hall Grand Opening Celebration" (where I totally kicked ass). but I do try to list a good variety of pub, coffee-shop, event, and fundraiser gigs. You want to project versatility, professionalism, and experience. My aim is to totally fool them.

It's also a good idea to include pictures of yourself playing in some of these venues, so be sure to have somebody snap a few for you. Preferably ones where you look halfway decent. I always seem to end up with ones where my eyes were crossed, or I was making duck lips (see below)


Maybe that's just how I always look.

Anyway, do that.

Another thing you should do is to assemble a few of these photos into some kind of groovy graphic design-and make fliers that the venue can use to advertise you. Promotional materials are a win/win...you want people to come see you, the venue wants business. Leave the fields blank so you can just re-use the "master copy" at different gigs. It also makes it easy, and inexpensive, for the venue to copy and personalize. II am a computer bonehead, and it took me 32 years, and several frustrated friends, to finally get a flier done. Here are a few ideas:




Anyhow...you get the idea...

And if you have original music, like I do (insert shameless plug here), make sure you include a sample with your press kit. You can also include a sample set list, or some lyric pages for your songs. If you play a wide variety of music, you can also include some set list tailor made for different venues. I try to send a different sample set list if I am going to play a cowboy bar, than the one I might send to the lesbian music festival.

Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment